Monday, July 6, 2009

4th of July from the MTC


Family! (wow, what an overused opening...)
...
Yet I don't have a better opening,

Hey! I wanted to remind you all that in a little over two weeks a certain Elder Robinson (there are a few of us here) will be in Ecuador! It is a scary and a satisfying thought. I don't think I know spanish well enough (you will understand in a minute) but I think after 6 1/2 weeks at the MTC I am ready to go. Plus, I am not sure if I have gained weight and I am afraid to find out. Tengo Meido.

Shout Out: Jeff. Wow, this is like a weekly award cerimony. Jeff wins this week's Shout Out because he rocks. The letters I get from him each week are super funny and they are enjoyed by not only me but those in my room (only the funny sections I read outloud). Jeff, I really look up to you, your advice is great and I am so glad you are my brother.

Weekly News: Actually, this section probably gets shorter and shorter every week. Want to know a secret? Ok, I will tell you: I do the same things every day. So I am pretty sure I have told you all what I have done a couple of hundred times.

Points of Interest: (1)I taught a few more lessons in spanish this week. The language really does rock, and it is really starting to make sense to me. In fact, the few native spanish speakers that are around I can understand (somewhat) and I can't wait for Ecuador so that I can really get this language-learning portion of my mission underway.

Special Note: We were talking to the advanced spanish group the other day and they thought that we were advanced. Truth: we actually don't know how to speak spanish. We just say really stupid things like: Bird with a bug in its mouth, the sky is sad (this means it is raining, I made it up myself), (your favorite phrase followed by) de muerte!, and bobo (which we are told really is not a word, but we use it to mean "retarded, or simple or stupid...". We also say Chido, but we pronounce it Chito, but a girl today told me it was Chido (d makes a th sound in spanish). See my spanish really is not that great.

(2) I wrote a really funny contract the other day and made everyone sign it. I now have the power to enforce HSI (Hable Su Idioma= Speak your Language) and tell people to stop speaking English "El idioma de engles es bobo, hable espanol!" Everyone signed it except Elder Johnson. He is the new Zone Leader and me and his companion are trying to get him to speak spanish and he really does not want to sign anything that will give us power over him. But the truth is he is just missing out on a really funnily written document.

(3) I decided the other night that I was going to write something in my next email in Spanish. So that is what I am going to do. It is just a simple prayer. But this way you people know that I do actually speak another language. Read through it. I think you would be surprised with how many cognates there are in english and spanish (words that sound alike)

Mi Padre Celestial,

Te doy gracias por esta dia muy bonita. Te doy gracias por mi compañero y este tierra. Por la montañas y lagos y todos cosas. Te doy gracias por su evangelio y su hijo Jesucristo y el expiacion de Jesucristo. Padre Celestial, gracias por mi familia y salude y fuertaleze para ellos.
Padre Celestial. te pide por el espiritu santo siempre.te pide por la gente de Ecuador. Por salude y fuertaleza in mi vida y en la vida de mi compañero. Te pide por todas cosas yo laventarse necisito (that sentence has a few problems in it.)
En el Santo nombre de Jesucristo, mi salvado y redentor, Amen.

See I can speak spanish. It just usually does not make sense.

(3) I had a really cool conversation with mom last week. All of you missed out. I love mom.

(4) Gideon. Wow, what a cool guy he is. Me and my companion were teaching a lesson the other day about Moroni and Pahoran when I realized that Pahoran fled from the evil kingmen to the land of Gidion. Here is my question. Why does the book of Alma begin with the death of Gidion and end in the land of Gidion (relatively). And why whenever evil kings are among the Nephites does the name Gidion appear. (if you don't know what I am talking about read up on Evil King Noah and the evil Kingmen at the end of Alma).

(5) I promised pictures this week but because of the 4th of July the store is closed... lame no?

Question...
(1) Rumor has it that the GOP is struggling. Is this true? Is it true that Mitt Romney is rising to the top? Whoever gets me this answer first gets a cookie. I can sneek one out of the cafetiria and slip it into an envelope for you! VERY IMPORTANT I MUST KNOW!!!!

(2) Who won survivor a month ago? Man, you all are way behind on the times if I don't even know this yet! (hint: google search "survivor" and click on the first link that appears.)

(3) Is monsoon season over yet?

(4) Have Christy and Leif named their child yet? Because if they have not tell me, I have some really cool names I can give them.

(5) Who want to, you know, go to the temple around 10:20 not this next friday but the next one? You should consider it. But I am not endorsing anything. Nor should you probably do it.

That is the gist of my letter home this week. Beyond this is for individual people. So scan over the list, read what you like, but otherwise you can stop reading now if you so desire.

Mom: I loved the conversation last week. Thanks so much for that. We probable will never be able to do that again, I don't have enough time.

Mary: You rock. Get better. I really wanted to tell you something but I always forget by the end of my emails. I hope you get better soon.

Spencer: Very important. I need you to do the following: In the movie "Transformers" there is a really funny line. It is when they are going to buy a new car but they end up at that really dumpy carlot. (the place where they buy Bumblebee) Anyway, the funny quote. You know the clown? The owner of the lot yells, "Manny, get out of that clown suit!" And then the clown shouts back. What does he say? This is really important. We play volleyball everyday and the sun is often in my eyes. I need something to say and translate into spanish that is really funny. Google will probably work best. Thanks! (the quote is something like... "hot, sun in my eyes, it burns...")

Hey! I love you all. Thanks for being amazing.

Elder Robinson

ps. I listened to Elder Holland last week. I saw 7 general athorities. I love the MTC.

No comments:

Post a Comment